Over 500 miles of trails

Someone said that there are over 500 miles of trails in Marin County. I'm going to hike all of them. Want to hear more? Read on...

Name:
Location: Woodacre, California, United States

Well, I hike, obviously. I read, without retaining, lots of stuff but mostly classic and contemporary fiction, history, and science. I look at birds and plants. I play my guitar far less than I ought, and watch movies far more. I like to ask people questions, but only if they ask me questions in return. I aspire to honorable behavior and am mostly successful. I'm on the cusp of a career change, with bird research in my past/present and academic librarianship in my future. Occasionally I bust out and cook six course gourmet meals for my friends; for some reason it's always six and never seven or five. Enough about me. What about you? Stranger or friend, drop me a line!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

My daypack had deteriorated to an embarrassing state, but it is hopefully now restored to respectability. Today, before my hike, I carefully applied deodorant. However, approximately 3 miles in, I noticed that I smelled like a horse. Not just any horse, but maybe how Man o' War would have smelled after a particularly close race for the Belmont Stakes. This has happened on my last few hikes. The problem is that the straps on my pack had become inoculated with my armpit bacteria over the course of successive hikes, such that the bacteria are reactivated by my body heat/sweat each time I hike and party down in some sort of bacteria smell-o-thon.

After my hike today I applied a thick paste of baking soda + water to the regions of the backpack that are most intimate with my armpits. After carefully checking all compartments (I found a really old pack of gum!) I laundered the entire pack on gentle cycle and it is now drying on my front porch. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home