Over 500 miles of trails

Someone said that there are over 500 miles of trails in Marin County. I'm going to hike all of them. Want to hear more? Read on...

Name:
Location: Woodacre, California, United States

Well, I hike, obviously. I read, without retaining, lots of stuff but mostly classic and contemporary fiction, history, and science. I look at birds and plants. I play my guitar far less than I ought, and watch movies far more. I like to ask people questions, but only if they ask me questions in return. I aspire to honorable behavior and am mostly successful. I'm on the cusp of a career change, with bird research in my past/present and academic librarianship in my future. Occasionally I bust out and cook six course gourmet meals for my friends; for some reason it's always six and never seven or five. Enough about me. What about you? Stranger or friend, drop me a line!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Arty, Arty. I love my dog. There, I've said it. Arty came with me on a short hike last Saturday, his first since his paw injuries of a couple of weeks ago. It was good to have his company on the trail again. It wasn't a hot day, but it was sunny, and I was continually feeling the trail to experience what he was experiencing. The trail was pretty cool, and the air temperature was perhaps only 75 degrees or so, but Arty nonetheless seemed uncomfortably hot on this hike. His paws were fine, but he bopped from shady spot to shady spot along the trail, and was in extreme panting mode, you know, when the dog's eyes are nearly shut because the tongue is out so far? I guess it was just the black dog on a midday hike syndrome. He seemed to enjoy himself, though I on the other hand was pretty much wholly preoccupied with observing his condition throughout the hike. I still had a good time too, though.

We hiked at the Loma Alta Open Space Preserve, just 5-10 minute drive from my house. There are a couple of access points; one is right on Sir Francis Drake, but the one that seemed preferable to me was up Glen Drive near White Hill School... the access trail seems nicer, and you can park in the shade. We hiked up the Smith Ridge Fire Road to the edge of the Open Space Land... a decent climb through open oak woodland with some nice local views of Mt. Tam et al. The trail continues on private land on an easement all the way over to Lucas Valley Road, then crosses Lucas Valley Road, skirts Skywalker Ranch(George Lucas' place, for the out-of-staters) and hooks into the Loma Vista Open Space preserve all the way up by Novato. I'm pretty excited to do a shuttle hike, or just get dropped off at one end and picked up at the other, to hike this trail... it feels like you traverse a fair bit of Marin County in doing so, though it's probably only 10 - 12 miles or so. It's a project for this fall. Anyway, we backtracked to Gunshot Fire Road, and took a breather under a big spreading oak. I poured water on Arty's back and neck and waited for his temperature to go down, as we had just completed a particularly sunny stretch. Fortunately the rest of the hike had more shady spots. We continued down Gunshot Fire Road into a canyon-y, oaky area and came out on Pipeline Road. There's a waterfall here during times when it's not bone-dry and the middle of the damn summer... it looked like it would have been pretty nice. Pipeline Road took us back to the truck, though not before first stopping at a conveniently placed mud puddle for a refreshing high-noon wallow. Arty, dear to my heart that he is, got to ride back in the front seat despite his mud-encrusted exterior. All told the hike was a brisk and pleasant 4.7 miles with a 1200' elevation change.

1 Comments:

Blogger AphotoAday said...

Hi Kelly,

Well, I did another "Kelly inspired" hike this morning... I made it all the way up Loma Alta to where the private land starts... I thought I was just going for my usual Roy's Redwood hike, but thought -- what the heck, it's such a nice morning, I think I'll hike up Loma Alta...
It was early and still cool, and I took the easier route (not from the school), but I had a really fine time -- although parts are pretty steep in places... Got some pretty nice pictures too -- it really is quite a view...

I guess I could have walked all the way over to Big Rock, but that was enough for me... Actually, previously I have started at Big Rock and hiked a mile or so towards Loma Alta, and of course I've also previously hiked the other way, but not all the way up the ridge, towards Novato...

Must tell you what I know about Loma Alta... Well, back in the early '70's, when I was in my early '20's, I worked for a few months cleaning stalls and feeding horses at Circle V Stables, which they now call Baywood... That was long before they built those all those yucky million dollar Baywood houses -- but let me tell you -- in those days, Loma Alta was not open-space...

It was owned by a group of Mormons with an outfit named Capital Planning, and they had their sights on putting homes all over Loma Alta -- and I mean a whole lot of homes! My heard dropped when I saw the big map of what they had planned... Houses all over that side of Loma Alta! Hundreds of them... I remember exclaiming -- "they just can't do this"... Well, fortunately, either they abandoned the project or they were prevented in doing so... I also remember a few years ago when someone wanted to build houses all over Mount Baldy, in San Anselmo... Oh, I guess those guys think they can do anything they want -- after all, whoever has the most money generally wins -- but I'm sure glad those projects never came to pass...

So today, I got to think about those old days of cleaning stalls and feeding horses at Circle V... I was in charge of the huge manure pile, which occasionally got so hot it would catch on fire... And I remember having to chase escaped horses down Sir Francis Drake Boulevard... What a fiasco...

But working at Circle V Stables was a pretty neat experience... Not that I was very good at riding
a horse, but a couple of times I rode "Old Charcoal" to the top of Loma Alta... And there were other times when I actually drove my old Volkswaggen to the top for a little after-hours partying... Oh, those were the days...

So, anyway, I didn't mean to get so long winded, but thanks for the memories and the hike and the photos... I had a great time...

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home